In the S.W.D.D Spotlight
4th of July Holiday Waste Collection Schedules
Waste Sorting Game
A fun and interactive way to test your recycling knowledge!
Learn about your community's waste diversion programs in a fun way with our brand new waste sorting game. Sort materials correctly and win fun items to build your own digital park!
Indian River County Cart Program
Please take a moment to watch this brief informational video to ensure you receive maximum service
Statement of Function
To provide for safe and cost-effective onsite processing of waste tires, yard waste, landfill disposal of municipal solid waste and construction and demolition debris in complete compliance with federal and state environmental regulations while maximizing the recovery of recyclable materials. The County's solid waste management system is an organized dependent special district known as Indian River County Solid Waste Disposal District (S.W.D.D.). The sanitary landfill division operates under strict Federal and State permit requirements. As of January 1, 2011, Republic Services has been contracted for the Operations & Maintenance of the Class I landfill as a co-disposal operation of both Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) and construction & demolition (C&D) debris, the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) for residential and commercial recyclable materials; household hazardous waste management services; environmental compliance and site management. On February 21, 2017, the SWDD Board renewed the contract with Republic Services for an additional 7-year term which expires on December 31, 2024.
2021/2022 Goals and Objectives
- Complete road and building improvements to protect SWDD assets.
- Complete the design, permitting and construction for the Landfill Gas Flare Skid Improvement and Pipeline Extension project.
- Complete the design, permitting, and construction of the new Leachate Evaporation Plant.
- Complete the construction of a new HHW facility.
- Complete the design, permitting and construction of a new Automated Scale System.
- Explore options to initiate food waste recovery and composting in Indian River County.
- Continue to maintain environmental compliance of the entire landfill site in accordance with the requirements of the site's various permits.