Environmental Planning and Code Enforcement
Statement of Function
The two main responsibilities of this section are to implement County comprehensive plan environmental policies
and to enforce general codes and ordinances enacted by the County to protect community standards. Specific
duties involve approving various permits (e.g. land clearing, tree removal, sign zoning, home occupations), issuing
code violation citations, and performing site plan reviews and inspections. Environmental planning also falls
under this section’s duties, including environmental aspects of comprehensive planning and site plan review.
This section’s staff also coordinates with the County Parks Division on management of conservation lands and
historic properties acquired under the County Environmental Lands Program.
2020/2021 Goals and Objectives
- Assist with implementation of Sea Level Rise planning and adaptation action strategies.
- Assist with Indian River Lagoon comprehensive conservation management planning.
- Help facilitate the land management process under the County Environmental Lands Program.
- Process zoning and environmental permits in a timely manner.
- Help enforce the County’s floodplain regulations.
- Maintain the County’s NFIP Class 6 Community Rating System classification.
- Process all code enforcement complaints.
- Fully implement the County’s short-term vacation rental licensing program.
- Complete updated site inspection and monitoring reports for all County conservation easements.
- Create a digital interface through the county’s website to assist the public with identifying and reporting code
- Proactively seek grant funding to increase recreation opportunities and improve access to County-owned